Sunday, December 02, 2007

I've been meaning to put up a link to a site my friend Matt Klara writes for called Sexy Loops. I just added them to the sidebar today. It has been pretty tough to spend much time on the blog lately. I'm also in the middle of a pretty serious carp fishing withdrawal. I spent most of today so far daydreaming of miles of shallow water and tails waving like flags. You can blame Matt for a lot of that as just the thought of using his latest creation this spring is driving me crazy. Here is why:



While this fly hasn't been tested, I'm fairly certain I already know the only acceptable response from the clam chowing Columbia river Carp. For tying details check out Matt's page:

The Clam Before the Storm

10 comments:

WT said...

I'll take 12.

John Montana said...

I'm with you WT. I don't think I can tie a fly that pretty...looking forward to the prototypes from Matt.

The carp will dig that clam.

Murdock said...

May i say Sweeeeeeeeeeeeeeet. I bet a clam eating catfish would chow down on one as well.

zonker said...

"...miles of shallow water and tails waving like flags...

Summertime heaven!

4 said...

So how exactly would you fish it?

John Montana said...

I haven't fished it yet Matt, but I would fish it similar to how i fish the san juan worm. Basically put the fly within a foot of the carp, and let it sit there. If they want it, they'll eat it!

J.G. Lock said...

That looks like an awesome fly. Have you tried it out yet? I would love to hear if it works as good as it looks.

Check out my site at icefishingpro.com

Have fun.

Paul Huffman said...

How big are these flies? It would be hard for a carp to eat a clam since they don't have any teeth in their mouth. I think they could crush small ones back in their pharyngeal teeth. I've tracked the clams around in the big c when the water is dropped. I'd follw a line in the mud and there'd be a 6 inch clam at the end. I think if clams get that big, they're safe. So where are the small ones? Eaten? Is that what those big fish are digging for so furiously in the main river?

Seems like you'd need a fly that looks like a small closed shell that you could drag very slowly just under the mud.

Paul Huffman said...

I always assumed the broken clam shells were left by otters or raccoons.

John Montana said...

Paul, most of the clams I've seen are about the size of a nickel. I'm pretty sure the carp could handle that...they can demolish crayfish. It will be interesting testing them out, I've got a few spots in mind where I'm pretty sure they'll be effective.

Just waiting now...come on warm weather!