Wednesday, April 03, 2013

Simple Math

I graduated from college with a degree in English Lit, so naturally I make my living as a freight salesman. Even so, there are some calculations that even I can figure out.

Orvis Helios 2 + box full of Hybrids + mid week vacation day = SORE ARMS

I smashed the carp today. Flat out smashed them. This really has been an unbelievable early season, with active (though small) fish all over the place. I was lucky enough to have good sun early, but I lost the light quickly and had to deal with high, white cloud cover, the absolute worst when carp fishing. It didn't matter. The fish were so active, and so shallow, that I could see them regardless of the light.

I caught literally countless fish. This was the best day in terms of numbers that I have had since my run in with General Sherman years ago...a day that I still recall fondly. Eclipsed. At one point I stood in the same spot for close to two hours. Never moved my feet. I would cast at a tailer, hook him, fight him, net him, release him...and then cast at another tailer and do it again. I stopped clipping my net to my pack and just dropped it in the water...easier and faster to just pick it up and net the next fish. The only thing missing were big fish. I spotted four or five that were over 15 lbs...hooked three of them, lost two to the same weedbeds, and broke one off with an over zealous net attempt. So it goes, I am not going to complain.

And the best part? It is APRIL...much more to come.

14 comments:

Unknown said...

Awesome. I remember a day of topwater LMB like that.

Legendary.

Anonymous said...

You're having a great year and its only the beginning. Can't wait for my my on the Big C in a few weeks. Now if I only had a clue where to start...

Gregg said...

Like I have said many times, good for you and the now legendary continual # of fish and successes. My brag will be any double digit day of any size fish. Awesome stuff you've done!

Gregg

Unknown said...

Nice! And I can't wait for some nice weekend days so I can try and fail to replicate your experience.

trashfisher said...

Still no action anywhere near that intensity further north. They are around through. I caught 1 that was big last Sunday in cloudy water (est. between 17 and 20 lbs.) and I walked quite a bit for it. And I am fully tooled up for May!

John Montana said...

It has been crazy good...really strange but I am taking advantage of it! I was wondering of the fish were showing up out there Travis.

testflycarpin said...

Wow, heck of a day man!

Carp Aficionado said...

Good grief man. You're killing me over here.

Mr. P. said...

Very cool John!

Brian Marz said...

That was both Monday and Tuesday. I fished the same 100 yards for two days and caught so many; to the point where I don't really know. Maybe the most I've caught so far in two days. Fun stuff!!!!

David McKenzie said...

Sounds like they are snapin up there! Really nice clean fish too. Down south we are almost finished with the first wave of spawners and the fishing is solid also.

JRob said...

Today was my first day of Fly Carpin. I found a good slough to work with a fair amount of Carp. I only had about an hour, but that's better than none at all. I used the Hybrid Carp Worm that I tied myself (with to small of a hook)(thats all I had till my order comes in from Intheriffle.com) I only had one take and was to slow to set the hook. Nice sunny afternoon baking in my neoprene waders! Now on to reading more about CARP!

John Montana said...

Good luck jrob!

JRob said...

Thank You.

I would never have done it without inspiration from a true Pro like yourself Montana.