Monday, August 11, 2014

Orvis Carpocalypse in bursts


The absolute silence that fell on the room as Adam announced the winner of the Costa 580 glass shades.

Adam and I screaming like 15 year old girls at the sight of a pop star when we saw a big white bucket open under water to eat Tom's fly. I think we startled him into setting the hook.

Spectator fishing. As Tom's (yet another) perfect cast settled on the water I watched the fish tilt, and flash some mouth at us. "Boom" I uttered under my breath as Tom set the hook on a nice 14 lber.

So many variations of the hybrid.

Travis getting out of the car at the first stop Saturday morning...and offering everyone a beer. Now that guy is a carper.

My phone buzzing with a text on Sunday morning...a photo of a monstrous 20 lb carp Matt Simms had just released...I whooped for joy miles away from him.

Watching a clearly exhausted Larry trudging back to the car after I drug him all over the river throughout the day. Suddenly his shoulders perked up, his head lifted, he made a short sharp cast and slammed home a hook set. No one could hear his reel shriek over our own cheering.

Laughing, as Terri quickly laid claim to the Orvis swag her husband Ross won.

Laughing even harder as Ross took the Helios 2 from Adams hands and walked back to his seat smiling. Good thing Terri already has one!

Giving out hybrids Saturday flies for you Kidwell!

Rob getting carp blocked by a 3 lb bass...and being genuinely upset about it.

102 degree heat. Mud flats and gravel bars. Tailers and sunners and cruisers.

Standing two rod lengths from a 30 lb fish and not casting because I really wanted Adam to see that fish. Had it been tailing I would have shown him a closer view.

Drinking a half bottle of Gatorade that had been in the car all day, and nearly burning my tongue.

Spotting a carp from the tracks as a train approached. Adam dove one way, I dove toward the carp. I used the train as cover and stumbled down the rip rap, scaring two people who had beached a boat on the sand and were sitting in chairs in the water enjoying the day. I crept toward them in a ninja crouch, covered in long sleeves, gloves and a face mask...rod in hand like a weapon. Suddenly I flipped a fly forward and as the train passed I hooked a carp. It exploded in the water, leaping and ripping off the flats. The people went from scared to interested, whooping and clapping as Adam reappeared on the tracks above. I casually released the carp and walk past their little oasis.

"Was that a carp." The guy asks...

"Yep" I say...and add "I bet you don't see that everyday" and Adam and I hiked the two miles back to our car.

Only at Carpocalypse. Thank you Orvis and Costa!



Brian J. said...

Sounds magnificent! Next year Tom and I will do our damnedest to be there.

Ross said...

It was an awesome time. I only wish Teri had caught the tailer from the parking lot at the hotel.....

Wendy Berrell said...

Great notes; sounds like a lot of fun.

trashfisher said...

Good times indeed!

Gregg said...

Good tournament. So many seem to suffer from something gone wrong. Sounds like too much fun!