Sunday, February 03, 2013

I couldn't take it any longer

So I went carp fishing. To be more exact, I went for a walk around some local ponds. With my beloved Columbia River too cold to be considered as an option, I hit up the local scene in the hopes that a few resident fish would be on the edges or in the shallows. The water looked good, but in 4 stops I saw zero fish, nor any signs of fish. January sucks.

The ponds are at winter levels, drawn down with the spring and summertime flats high and dry. I knew it was a bust about ten minutes in but I kept walking anyway...to fly fish for carp you quite simply need to be or to become an optimist. As Wendy Berrell says, faith is a must and that goes for both finding fish, and detecting the take. I had one near giddy moment when a series of bubbles made my heart stop briefly, but despite some intense staring, no fish materialized.

The good news? The Helios 2 is an absolute bad ass fly rod. I spent 30 minutes booming out casts, hitting every dark spot for which I aimed and in general marveling at this fishing tool. I have to be honest, it is going to be impossible to sit this rod in a closet and wait for spring to get a carp on it...I can see a coast trip or a winter trout run in my very near future.

 

10 comments:

Carp Aficionado said...

When is the earliest you'll start seeing carp on the C?

John Montana said...

March is a long shot, April a decent bet, and it starts getting good in may. The local stuff heats up a little faster, and it depends greatly on weather, rain, and run off.

Barry said...

You need to come winter in Oklahoma and then go back to the big C in spring. Perfect situation.

testflycarpin said...

So two months at the worst? Your hosed. Need to find some warmer water.

Michael said...

John,

By any chance, is there somewhere a warmwater disposal from maby a powerplant or something like that. Here it is almost not there bacause of the law. Sometimes it is frustrating, the winter but yeah there is carp and they ar stil coucht also in the winter as you know. I have coucht nothing sinds november, but like you, keep on trying...good luck.
Here are a few links from catches here of our dutch carp forum. Carp is spelled karper and catches is vangsten.
Enjoy some of the winterpics on that to warm up a bit ;)

http://www.karperwereld.nl/board/viewtopic.php?f=53&t=72257

http://www.karperwereld.nl/board/viewtopic.php?f=51&t=72266

http://www.karperwereld.nl/board/viewtopic.php?f=53&t=71807&start=25

Gregg said...

I hope to try my spring aided pond this week. Every place other than it still is iced over except the river (Snake) and it's far to cold there. I hope the snow is gone enough to let me reach the water. I will at least see signs there. That outfit you have is to die for! We have decent carpin by the first week in March in my other ponds.

Gregg

spearyhopper said...

Hey John, love the blog.
I am a Montana Carper getting to come out to Portland for a weekend in late April. Any Columbia Carping available prespawn? I'm a Lewis and Clark grad coming out for a big 40th bash for an alum who runs a dude ranch out here, and I guide for her and others around Missoula. A weekend away from kids is grand, and a carp on the big C would be even grander. can we discuss over email or something?

John Montana said...

Shoot me a message on my Facebook page spearyhoppy. April is a bit early but as it gets closer I can try yo help out. Easiest way to reach me is just to message me at my Facebook page. There should be some fish around in late April if the weather is good!

Anonymous said...

Thanks, I'll be in touch. I don't do facebook, but my wife does, so you may get some strange lady hitting you up for advice in late April.
-matt simms

George.Permiakov said...

John I went out to my local lakes in the Troutdale/Fairview area and they are all still cold. No carp were spotted there either :( I just hope the weather and water warms up sooner!