Saturday, May 07, 2011

Mirror, Mirror

Am I alone in thinking that the mirror carp has a clear cut place at the table of beautiful fish?



Yes, I still understand that they are carp...lips and tails and according to many: slime. But there is just something about the mirrors. Each scale pattern unique and brilliant, made all the prettier in full sunshine.



This is the carp's version of a brilliantly colored rainbow, or the chrome brightness of a steelhead fresh from the ocean. Maybe beauty is in the eye of the beholder but I can't be alone in being enamored with mirror carp...can I?



I do get the lips thing. Sometimes they still freak me out.

4 comments:

testflycarpin said...

I have the perfect fish for you...about 1 in 10 of the Carp in a section of the S.Platte have a lipless mutation. Combine that with your mirrors and vwhalla - purty fish. Just warning you though...a carp without lips is VERY creepy looking!

Pete said...

Definitely a cool looking fish. Beautiful? Depends on the beverage at hand

e.m.b. said...

Mutated no-lips carp? That HAS to be creepy. Although now I have this curious urge to go fish the S.Platte...

But seriously John, I agree...carp are beautiful. Just think "Angelina Jolie" lips I guess...!

John Montana said...

Need pics of the lipless carp for sure. All you south platte vets should get on that!

One thing about carp...even if one doesn't find the fish itself beautiful we can all agree that the sight of our backing is a beautiful thing indeed.