Wednesday, February 29, 2012

Invasive Species

Invariably, I end up drawn into the whole "invasive species" debate with regard to carp. Recently, I couldn't avoid this thread on Westfly.

Catch and Release Carp?

 

Overall, a much more civil discussion than I usually run into on the web. My thoughts are pretty simple. Protect native fish wherever and whenever we can. I just don't see how we can eliminate invasives on systems like the Columbia or Willamette with any effectiveness at this point, and I don't like useless killing. Also, and more to my point on the thread, carp deserve the same respect as other, more glamorous invasive species. I get tired of the call to kill all carp, but save the smallmouth? Fish that prey directly on our native species (like smallies, largemouth, and walleye) impact our fishery as much, if not significantly more than carp. Mostly, I get tired of the attitude and ignorance of many people when it comes to carp. News flash folks...these fish ain't what your daddy told you!

 

 

9 comments:

testflycarpin said...

Yup, can't stand invasives. When I find trout in my carp waters they go straight on the bank. Just a joke of course. This stuff is hilarious though. With the possible exception of bass, what really makes a species a "good" or "bad" invasive species is just our grandfathers stomachs.

Chris said...

+1 These awesome fish seem to carry some seriously undeserved stigma. They have "tournaments" here in Idaho designed to eradicate them. They are a bit of a bloodbath so I tend to stay my distance. I can understand when they are used for something useful, but killing just to kill and placing the "we're saving native fish" argument as an excuse is just that, an excuse.

Gregg said...

I read that. AJT was an a..h..le. Others were actually interesting. A bounty on pike minnows but treat smallmouths and walleye as fish Gods. Give me a break. One writer named the true culprits of salmonid destruction, channelization, dams, etc., yet blames the fish best able to survive an greatly altered environment.

Good points you made John, Gregg

flypredator said...

Right on man! Here in Vermont, in Lake Champlain in particular, the carp is viewed by many as a criminal and few people target them with anything but a bow. Fortunately a few open minded folks in the F&W department are hoping to change that perception. I had the commissioner out chasing carp last summer- he loved it!

El Bote said...

Is it legal in a lot of states to throw them up on the bank and just leave them?
At the very least, it should be littering but it's really a waste of natural resources.

JD said...

You're last line hits home. My dad has taught me growing up to throw carp on the bank after catching them. Unfortunately every time I throw flies for them I either get the skunk or catch smallies. Even if when I do hook up, they will be released back to the water with as much care as my bass do.

Unknown said...

Some time ago a froend of mine visited the USA on a carp fishing trip. He said it was the trip of a lifetime catching bigger and better fish that ever caught in the UK. But he was astonished when a chap told him he HAD to kill all carp caught as they were a vermin.

He didn't by the way. Carp like trout are now a way of life in most waters and on a fly rod they rock. I'm now 60 and fish for both trout and carp with a fly rod, love it.

Ty said...

Carp down here get blamed for everything from eating all of the bass' eggs to global warming.

Thought your response was great. Spot on.

Wendy Berrell said...

Nice response in that thread.