Sunday, March 11, 2012

Selection Sunday

Easily one of my favorite days of the year...I love the tournament. Still, I was looking for an excuse to fill up the memory of my DVR and be up late into the night watching Bracketology...I wanted to walk the river and look for carp, but with the water cold, the air cool, and the sky full of rain and clouds I opted to stay home and enjoy some basketball. It was nice watching UNC go down!

A few years ago we stopped at a pond on the way to Spokane to watch the first round. It had been a warm start to the year, and we spotted one lone carp tailing within reach.

The cast was good, and the fish was interested. It turned to follow the fly, and it ate...but I was late on the hook set and missed what would have been a great photo.

Every year at this time I am doubly thankful for the NCAA tournament. By now I am dying for some carp action, but good basketball is a nice way to stay distracted!

6 comments:

Gregg said...

Cool pictures! Your time is coming and then your are in enviable carp water!

Gregg

testflycarpin said...

Not much for College BBall but my Piston's are finally playing like they have at least a clue and that does help the off-season go bye.

Ty said...

I think the Zags got a tough draw. West Virginia is a pretty tough 10 seed.

My Memphis Tigers will have a hard opener too with Majerus and company.

John Montana said...

The committee doesn't love the zags. A few years ago the sent them to nc to play Davidson (Stephen curry!). Once again, despite being the higher seed, they have to play a road game 70 miles from the lower seed's campus. Fantastic.

Memphis should beat st Louis. Majerus is smart, but he doesn't have the athletes. Their second round game is less appealing!

Feather Chucker said...

Great pics, so when the fish started to follow the fly, is the retrieve painfully slow or do you do little strips? Or just leave it there?

John Montana said...

Hey Kevin...most of the time I just leave the fly where it lands on the cast, I don't get a lot of fish to follow or chase out here. When they do, I move the fly in tiny sharp hops...usually 2-3 in a row with a long pause to let the fish come to the fly. Best bet out here is to let the fish see the fly sink and leave it there for the fish to find...