Tuesday, January 25, 2011

Once upon a time, this was my go to fly for carp.






I remember the utter confidence I had in this fly...I knew carp would eat it. Then for some reason I switched up to this type of stuff.






A simple rubber legged hares ear. Looks basic, is basic, but one particular spring it was absolutely my favorite fly.

I have used a ton of different patterns now, my fly box is usually awash in colors and marabou and rubber legs, but more and more I am becoming convinced that the pattern truly is less important than the presentation.






This year, the plan is to carry less variety, but in more colors. I am tying the basic green nymph in various shades and with several hackles...sans rubber legs and as simple as possible. I am betting I still catch quite a few fish.




3 comments:

winonaflyfactory said...

Presentation seems to be the key to fishing in general. I know a similar scenario to what you describe here has happened to me. Right now I keep fishing the SMB because I have confidence in it and my ability to present it properly in varying circumstances. I know I've put it down for several months in a row because I lost that confidence at one point.

Presentation. Nice looking flies either way. I've got to order more rubber legs, apparently I'm going to need the.

Troutdawg said...

Your rubber legged hares ear looks similar to my favorite Carp fly as well...the aggravator! Pretty hard to beat and used in 5 diff colors based on water clarity

Anonymous said...

I couldn't agree more... people around Pittsburgh who ask me about fly fishing for carp (with that strange look on their face) always ask what flies I use.... I always tell them it really doesn't matter all that much... It's almost all in the presentation.

Last year my hottest carp fly was a blood dot... go figure!