Sunday, April 22, 2012

Spawning Carp

Yeah, not my favorite targets, but ask yourself this. If you were sitting on a couch, relaxing after an extended spawning session and someone handed you a sandwich would you eat it? Granted, you probably are not going to get up, walk to the kitchen, and make yourself a turkey sandwich, but if someone hands you one? Yep, carp will eat to if you feed it to them.

So Van and I walked into this scenario today. Carp everywhere, and 99 percent of them spawning. I think yesterday's sun bumped the temps up and every carp in the area flooded the fields and had a good old time getting down. We heron stalked through their midsts, and stuck some decent fish...including Van's first, second, and third ever carp on the fly. The obligatory Statue of Liberty pose.

Nice fat belly for a handhold on that one. A few more of Van's fish:




Three things played heavily into your success with these fish. First, we needed a heavy fly to punch through the blades of grass and general vegetation surrounding the fish. Second, targets: if the fish were moving on this day, they were spawning...casting at sedentary fish (preferably with their mouths pulsing) was the key. Third (and something that is always true) was stealth. Spawning fish are NOT spooky, but if you are inching closer to a perfect, laid up fish and you step on, or move quickly and spook the spawners they blow a lot of fish in a hurry.
All in all, a great day. Thanks for the company Van! Full sun, 80 degrees, and carp all over...I even caught a couple myself!

 

 

9 comments:

Randall said...

cool report, John.

I was at a place today where carp were doing there thing...good to know they still eat (at least those who are just sitting there, from what I'm reading on your blog) I did't really target them all that much, but sure had fun with the little fish (sunfish galore) on my 4wt glass rod. Sure saw some serious toads though...

trashfisher said...

On Saturday I fished an area full of fish that appeared to be getting ready to spawn. There was no salad and was real shallow so they got spooked by the boat. I only caught a few until I got out and started wading. I caught a bunch then.

BrookfieldAngler said...

Sounds like a fun day!

How, if I may ask, do you fish such heavy vegetation without getting hung up constantly?

John Montana said...

Very Carefully Brookfield!

Unknown said...

I didn't realize that you fished with Tim Robbins! That's cool.

Mark VanDehey said...

Thanks again John, it was a blast!

Ty said...

Nice. I see you're making up for lost time after that long winter.

Gregg said...

I'm embarrassed by the pictures of carp from my recent trip I sent you. Super glad you had the success you did.

Gregg

Wendy Berrell said...

Just to be around carp that you can see is a good thing. Even if they are spawning. Nice vid.